“The mission of Swedlanda Lutheran Church, as people called and sent by God's Spirit, is to serve the Word of Jesus Christ to all people.”

Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Week of September 14

Greetings!

I’m not at Swedlanda today, but I thought I should update everyone on my condition. I tried to send out a Prayer Partner update last Thursday, but I’m not sure it went through. My surgery went well last Wednesday, although it didn’t get started until almost 4:30 p.m.; we met some wonderful people in pre-op as we waited--even shared faith stories. I had my own medical team with me-Nancy, Jessica and Phillip. I was introduced to my surgeon’s assistant, the da Vinci robot, but he doesn’t talk much. The doctor said that the surgery went very well, as expected; it lasted only about 2 1/2 hours. He gave me the option of spending an extra night in the hospital, but I thought I could get a better rest at Jessica's house in Bloomington. My grandson Joey and his puppy, Lucy are keeping me company. Our son Jeffrey flew in from Kentucky to join us. I will stay here until my follow-up appointment on Thursday. At that time we will get the pathology results on tissue that was taken and the lymph nodes. It is our hope and prayer that this will indicate no spread beyond the prostrate. So thank you for your continued prayers and thanks be to God.

I also appreciate your prayers for those affected by Hurricane Ike. Our daughter Teresa works for TSA, the people who do the security and bag inspections at the airport. She is on a special team that gets sent wherever there is a short-term need. First she was sent to New Orleans, then to Houston, Texas, then Harlingen, Texas and finally McAllen, Texas. If some of the TSA employees can’t come in because of damage to their homes, she may stay for a while to help at the Houston airport.

Our daughter Jessica is also expecting her second son on Sept. 18. There's no shortage of things going on in the Stewart household!

Nancy has been back in Hector due to her work schedule and reports that we had at good attendance at worship. Elizabeth Roebke was filling in for me and did a fine job. Elizabeth is a recent seminary graduate and is awaiting assignment for her first call. May God be with her during this process.

Here are a few announcements. I hope to see you in church soon. Thanks again for your prayers.

In Christ,

Pastor Stewart

Announcements:

The Rev. Joyce Piper will be here next Sunday, September 21. She is a Synod Minister for the Southwestern Minnesota Synod and has responsibility for our Conference. In order to provide an opportunity to greet her, there will be a Coffee Fellowship at 9:30 a.m. prior to the worship service.

During Pastor Stewart’s recovery, pastors Ruth Edberg (848-2325) and Keith Pearson (848-2845) are available for emergencies.

There will be a Pre-school class at 9:10 a.m. on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month. Sunday School for Jr. & Sr. High will be held in the belfry classroom on all but the first Sunday of each month. The Swedlanda Family Sunday School will be held at 9:10 a.m. on the first Sunday of each month for people of all ages.

Adult Study will be at 9:30 a.m. beginning September 28.
Choir Practice will be at 8:25 a.m. beginning on September 28. If you enjoy singing, come and join us. New members are always welcome.

Luther League meets on Wednesday, Sept. 17 at 7:00 p.m. Come and join us!
Confirmation Class is scheduled to begin Wednesday, Sept. 24, from 7:00-8:30 p.m.
Men In Mission will meet on Wednesday, Sept. 24 at 8:30 p.m.
The Doctor of Ministry Conversation Team will meet Thurs. Sept. 25 at 5:30 p.m.

A note of thanks for your help with the library project in India
Dear Friends at Swedlanda. Thank you for your on-going support of the school library program in the Arcot Lutheran Church. We now have 61 sponsors. Sept. 2-5, 34 new schools will send their library committees, including students to select books from our second big Book Fair. It is exciting for us to all participate together in this special education ministry.

No comments: